Dr Bryan McDonald MB BCh BAO DPD DOccMed MRCP (UK) (Derm) is a Consultant Dermatologist who
consults on all aspects of adult and paediatric dermatology, with special interest in inflammatory skin disease, such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, acne vulgaris and hidradenitis suppurativa. He also has interest in management of skin cancer including mole checks and skin surgery. He carries out skin biopsies, curettage and cautery, removing benign moles or skin tags, performs injections for hair loss or keloid scars and performs cryotherapy. He is an NHS Consultant at Bartshealth NHS Trust where he is the Paediatric Dermatology Lead and Network Director. He is also a member of the British Association of Dermatologists Therapeutics and Guidelines Committee.
Why you should see Dr Bryan McDonald
Dr Bryan McDonald initially trained in Primary care and this has made him aware of the impact of skin conditions on patients general well-being. He is therefore aware of the importance of holistic care in treating his patients. He realises the significant impact that skin disease can have on a patient both physically and psychologically and aims to provide the best evidence based care to his patients.
Dr Bryan McDonald sees and treats adults, children and infants across all types of dermatology conditions. Dr McDonald treats a wide range of conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, skin cancers and hidradenitis. He also performs minor surgical excisions, skin biopsies, cryotherapy, steroid injections, removal of cysts and curettage and cautery.
Wednesday 3pm to 7pm
Dr Bryan McDonald is registered with the GMC and is on the specialist register for Dermatology. He was a previous member of the Royal College of General Practitioners and is a present member of the Royal College of Physicians, British Society of Medical Dermatologists, British Society of Paediatric Dermatology, British Society for Dermatological Surgeons, European Society of Paediatric Dermatology, Royal Society of Medicine, British Association of Dermatologists and European Association of Dermatovenereologists. Dr McDonald is recognised by all major private health insurers.
Education and Training
Dr Bryan McDonald trained at Queen’s University, Belfast and then initially trained in General Practice. After completion of his training he worked as a locum GP and subsequently a GP Partner. After completing a postgraduate diploma in Dermatology he returned to hospital medicine, re-training in dermatology at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust as well as Luton and Dunstable NHS Foundation Trust.
Publications and Press
Dr Bryan McDonald is widely published and some examples include:
- McDonald BS and Buckley DA. Severe dermatitis from Dermabond® surgical glue. British Journal of Dermatology 2014;170:739–741
- McDonald BS and Seaton ED. Mohs micrographic surgery in the U.K.: are we discriminating against people with blood-borne infections? British Journal of Dermatology 2015;172(1):305–306
- McDonald BS, Jones J and Rustin M. Rituximab as a treatment for severe atopic eczema: failure to improve in three consecutive patients. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 2016;41(1):45-47
- McDonald BS, Narayanan S, Elawad M, Kiparissi F, Cullup T and Batta K. Interleukin-10 receptor mutation presenting with severe nappy ulceration and infantile inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 2017; 42(7): 771-773
- McDonald BS, Pigors M, Kelsell DP, O’Toole EA, Burkitt-Wright E, Kerr B and Batta K. Noonan syndrome with multiple lentigines and associated craniosynostosis. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 2018; 43(3): 357-9